Friday, March 11, 2011

A Little Light Over Here, Please?!

O send out your light and your truth; let them lead me; let them bring me to your holy hill and to your dwelling. Then I will go to the altar of God, to God my exceeding joy; and I will praise you with the harp, O God, my God. 
- Psalm 43: 3-4
Lent - it’s not a season of the church year that I look forward to...and I don’t think I’m alone in that. I feel like Lent is the ‘black sheep’ of the church-year family, like people go out of their way to avoid thinking about it or acknowledging it or we simply don’t understand what it is really all about.  I’m trying to approach Lent in a different way this year...
Usually Lent is approached with a solemnity that is quite appropriate for a time of fasting, prayer and meditation.  But it is usually more than solemnity that we have - we often approach Lent with a solemnity mixed with anxiety, fear, trepidation and despise. Because, after all, isn’t Lent all about giving up those things that we love the most; chocolate, wine, cookies, pasta....
I’m approaching Lent this year as a season of searching - I’m not giving anything up. As a matter of fact, I’m adding something, a spiritual discipline, meditation. Now, before those of you who know me well laugh hysterically at the thought of me trying to sit still and quiet ALONE for any lengh of time, hear me out.  I’m going to try meditation so that I can focus in on God’s voice and God’s light during my time of fasting, prayer and preparation.  I’m going to spend time in silent solitude and try to see the light and the truth that is guiding me down this path called life.  Along the way I may experience some ‘noise’ or some ‘darkness’ but that is ok, because I know that God will lead me back to God. I know that my path, while sometimes curvy and hilly, is a path that leads to God’s grace and goodness.  
I pray that during my Lenten journey I am able to learn something about myself; I don’t know what it might be because if I knew it I wouldn’t have to learn it, right? I also pray that God will reveal something new to  me...something about the path that I am on. And I pray that what I learn and what is revealed will cause me, on that glorious Easter morn, to praise God, my exceeding joy and give Him thanks and praise for a safe and spiritual Lenten journey.
May it be so with you, as well.
Let us pray:
Guiding God - I pray your blessing upon your children as we begin our Lenten journeys.  Guide us with your light. Grant us courage to continue the journey, even when it’s rough, and bring us to an everlasting joy.  Amen.

No comments: